COVID-19 and your visit to L'Anse aux Meadows National Historic Site
Openings and services differ across the country. Please check the Parks Canada national information portal dedicated to COVID-19 for regular updates.
Important information about your visit to L’Anse aux Meadows Historic Site
The health and safety of visitors and employees is of utmost importance to the Government of Canada. Parks Canada is following the advice of public health experts and continues to make every effort to limit the spread of COVID-19. Visitors should follow the advice of public health experts, including necessary hygiene practices and physical distancing of two metres from others.
Visiting a national historic site will be different than in previous years. Some national historic sites may reduce the number of visitors allowed to enter at one time to ensure physical distancing and some areas, rooms or buildings may remain closed for health and safety reasons. Some national historic sites may remain closed.
Visitors are reminded that if they plan to travel outside of their home province to visit a Parks Canada place, they must follow the applicable provincial or territorial travel restrictions. Some provinces and territories allow only essential or limited inbound travel at this time while others require those entering to follow a period of self-isolation. The Parks Canada website provides detailed information on what locations are open, what visitors can expect, how to prepare for a visit and what services may be available. Visitors should check pc.gc.ca before they travel.
What’s open (updated: Oct. 8, 2020)
- Birchy Nuddick Trail.
- Parking areas and roadway.
What’s closed (updated: Oct. 8, 2020)
- Visitor Centre for a limited number of visitors at a given time. Please plan ahead via email or phone (709) 623-2608.
- Reconstructed sod huts for a limited number of visitors at a given time. Visitors have the opportunity to see inside buildings through one-direction entry and exit. There is also limited living history interpretation at the Viking Encampment. Visitors are asked to maintain social distancing.
- Archeological site, including access trail.
- Guided tours are not offered at this time.
- Test of Tykir Escape Room, the sod hut and smithy hut.
Your safety when visiting
- Keep a healthy space of 2 metres between you and others.
- Be extra cautious when engaging in any activities to avoid injury and/or getting lost to help minimize the demands placed on emergency response, search and rescue teams, and on the health care system.
- Leave no trace when you visit outdoor spaces. Please take all your garbage with you and help keep these places clean.
- Abide by all travel advisories